This article was submitted by Kathryn McBurney, Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba.
Fifty years ago, a passionate and engaged group of hospital guild members and community supporters launched a dedicated foundation to fund excellence in pediatric research, treatment and care that would support the healthcare needs of children across the province. On May 17, 1971, Children’s Hospital Research Foundation of Manitoba was born. Thanks to the extraordinary legacy of generosity from the community over the past 50 years, the Foundation, now Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba, has raised more than $150 million dollars to support sick and injured children.
From construction of the prairie’s only pediatric research centre – Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba (CHRIM) – to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment like the new Children’s Heart Centre, and innovative programs like Child Life at HSC Winnipeg Children’s Hospital, supporters of the Foundation ensure the dedicated providers and researchers can #continuecaringforkids.
“We are celebrating 50 years of community impact,” said Stefano Grande, President and CEO of Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba. “That’s the impact that donor generosity and community partnerships have made to improve the lives of sick and injured children from Manitoba, Northwestern Ontario and Nunavut.”
The Foundation will celebrate the 50th anniversary this month and on throughout the year, and encourages the community to share in the celebration:
- Share a story! Heartfelt stories from former patient, donor, volunteer, healthcare provider and researchers’ experiences are being shared on the Foundation’s social media channels @CHFManitoba and on goodbear.ca. Anyone wishing to share a favourite memory of their time or their child’s time at HSC Children’s Hospital can do so at goodbear.ca/sharemystory.
- Win big while making a big impact! The Foundation is holding an anniversary 50/50 raffle. The prize pot is currently over $14,000. Tickets are available at goodbear.ca/Impact5050. The draw date will be May 17 at 12 noon.
- Participate as a community champion in support of Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba. The Foundation has a goal of being part of 50 community events across the province and is well on the way. Learn how to a participate at goodbear.ca/ways-to-help/host-your-own-event
- Be a good bear and purchase a Dr. Goodbear limited edition golden anniversary Dr. Goodbear stuffy and 50th anniversary Dr. Goodbear socks at any Manitoba Walmart or at goodlocal.ca. All proceeds from the sales of Dr. Goodbear Merchandise stays in Manitoba to help kids who need HSC Children’s Hospital. Items are selling out fast, so get yours today!
- Match your gift. Throughout this year, all new monthly donors can double their impact thanks to a matching donor. Monthly donations can be set up at goodbear.ca or by calling 204-787-4400.
- In Winnipeg, safely snap and share some selfies (masked, distanced, and with clean hands, please!) as the Winnipeg sign at the Forks lights up with the purple, red, yellow and teal colours of the Children’s Hospital Foundation logo, and Dr. Goodbear shines at the top of the Manitoba Legislative Building on May 17. #50MoreBearHugs
The Foundation also encourages people to support children’s healthcare for the next 50 years and anyone interested in making a lasting impact for the future of pediatric care by leaving a legacy donation can be in touch during this anniversary month of May which is also Leave a Legacy month across Canada.
To learn more about the Foundation’s 50th anniversary plans, how you can get involved, or options to leave a legacy gift, visit goodbear.ca.